Migration updates – Migration Manager general availability and SPMT adds Teams support
This post is originally published on Microsoft SharePoint Blog articles
Microsoft focuses on providing a seamless move to Microsoft 365 with as much expertise and tooling we and our ecosystem can offer – across the globe. Our goal is to help move to the cloud with confidence.
We are pleased to share Migration Manager – part of the SharePoint admin center - has completed rollout to Microsoft 365, including commercial and government cloud customers. We, too, have updated the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) – adding support for migrating content to Microsoft Teams. Our migration specialists have been working hard to bring the migration service, including admin-led and self-service offerings, to more customers as demand to move content to the cloud continues to grow.
Let’s dive into the details…
Migrate on-premises content with Migration Manager in the SharePoint admin center
Migration Manager is now generally available. It is a key part of the SharePoint admin center, to help orchestrate and simplify management of large-scale migrations. Admins can add and manage multiple migration agents to centrally orchestrate all migration activities.
Migration Manager lets you migrate your on-premises file share content to Microsoft 365. Through a simple interface within the SharePoint admin center, admins can manage thousands of migration tasks across multiple machines.
The new task view in the SharePoint admin center provides one location to create and monitor progress. For each task, there is a task detail pane to download summary reports and change settings for individual tasks – all centrally managed within the SharePoint admin experience.
Since initial phases of roll out, Migration Manager has made performance improvements and achieved further accessibility compliance. In addition, you can now:
- Specify a document library and a folder for your migration destination
- Paste a destination URL (SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams); includes automatic scanning.
- Add an increased number of tasks to your migration
- Sort and search tasks
Note: This product is intended for global and SharePoint administrators of commercial and government cloud Microsoft 365 (Office 365) customers.
Simplify large file share migrations – learn more about Migration Manager (improved documentation and troubleshooting guide).
SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) now supports migrating content directly to Microsoft Teams
The SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) is a simple and fast solution to help you migrate content from on-premises SharePoint Server sites and file shares to SharePoint, OneDrive, and now Microsoft Teams in Microsoft 365. It is designed to help you bring your information to the cloud and take advantage of the latest collaboration, intelligence, and security solutions within Microsoft 365.
Using the SharePoint Migration Tool, you can quickly bring your most important content to Microsoft Teams to create a more open, digital environment. The tool makes it easy to select Teams that you are an owner of, to then set them as the destination(s) for the migration. The tool will also let you select what specific channel you want the content to go into.
Since each team in Microsoft Teams has a team site in SharePoint Online, the SharePoint Migration Tool provides a quick and simple solution to bringing your files to Microsoft Teams in Microsoft 365.
Recent and additional SPMT updates:
- SharePoint Server 2016 support (public preview) | You can now have SharePoint Server 2016 as the source environment to move content into Microsoft 365.
- Simpler OneDrive migration using user account | Simply enter the email address of the user that you want to migrate content into or continue using the URL.
- Smart URL handling to reduce SharePoint migration complexity | We have improved the tool to make it easier to copy and paste a SharePoint URL. You no longer need to truncate the URL to paste it in to the tool.
- One-click reporting for issues and to provide feedback
Download the SharePoint Migration Tool (public preview) today - supporting migration from SharePoint Server 2010, SharePoint Server 2013, SharePoint Server 2016 (public preview) and network or local file shares.
Learn more about what features the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) supports.
Want to learn more? Join us for the “Migrating content into Microsoft 365 AMA” within the Microsoft Tech Community (Wed. June 17th, 9:00 am)
This will be a 1-hour Ask Microsoft Anything (AMA) within the Microsoft Tech Community. An AMA is like an “Ask Me Anything (AMA)” on Reddit, providing the opportunity for the community to ask questions and have a discussion with a panel of Microsoft experts taking questions about the SharePoint admin center Migration Manager, SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT; content from on-premises, Mover (cloud-to-cloud), FastTrack, and our 3rd-party migration ecosystem.
- What: Migrating content into Microsoft 365 AMA
- When: [Rescheduled] Wednesday, June 17th, 2020 from 9:00 – 10:00 AM PT
- Where: Migrating Content into Microsoft 365 AMA space within the Microsoft Tech Community site
This AMA is to answer your questions about the products, tools, and services. We, too, will share details around the above announcements. And as always, we appreciate your input on what you want to see next – aka, what is missing to make your migrations smooth and successful.
Use more of what SharePoint and Microsoft 365 offer, and let us know what you think
In addition to the above updates now rolling out to Microsoft 365, we encourage you to learn more about all migration offerings. Mover supports numerous cloud-to-cloud migration scenarios alongside our the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) which targets migrating content from on-premises SharePoint sites and file shares to Microsoft 365, FastTrack planning and onboarding, and a strong migration partner ecosystem – collectively the broadest set of offerings to assist your migration into Microsoft 365.
Related migration resources:
- Mover migration planning guides
- Microsoft Ignite 2019 session: “Migration to SharePoint, OneDrive, and Microsoft Teams in Microsoft 365, free and easy” [BRK3006]
- SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT)
- Migration Manager
- "Move with Mover migration" – The Intrazone podcast episode discussion with the migration engineering leads about all migration offerings (blog + embedded episode audio)
Our goal is to empower you and every person on your team to achieve, and move, more. Let us know what you need next. We are always open to feedback via UserVoice and continued dialog in the SharePoint community within the Microsoft Tech Community —and we always have an eye on tweets to @SharePoint. Let us know.
Thanks, Mark Kashman, senior product manager (SharePoint/Microsoft)